About Me

Note from Maria: I am a Registered Dietitian with a Master of Public Health Degree in Nutrition from UNC at Chapel Hill. I have a passion for helping people with nutrition & wellness, especially moms. Women & moms provide care for everyone else often at the expense of considering their own needs. I hope to provide good resources to you to help you make nutrition and wellness a priority.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Moms.....make time for YOURSELF!!

This blog post was inspired by a patient, she said to me while in the hospital "now it is time to take care of me". She has been taking care of everyone else and she ended up in the hospital where she is finally able to tend to her needs. During my short time at UNCH, I have seen many many patients way too young to have the health problems that they have developed. Prevention is soooo much better than getting sick and dealing with the consequences, some reversible, some not. Here are my thoughts:

  • Have some "you time" everyday, even if it is only for 10 minutes. Make this happen, it can be as simple as trading off babysitting with a neighbor and walking around the block by yourself. 
  • You can also just sit and close your eyes and meditate after the kids go to bed. I promise, the chores will wait for you. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/meditation/HQ01070
  • Lock everyone out of the bathroom and take a hot bath. Play some relaxing music or nature sounds and just relax!
  • Don't feel bad about making time for you.  If you don't make time for yourself, it is very unlikely anyone will do this for you! 
  • As moms we feel guilty about everything....STOP!! Guilt only makes YOU feel bad and serves no purpose.
  • Stop eating junk and make healthy food choices to give your body the nutrients it needs to function well. 
  • Try to fit in 30 minutes of physical activity each day. This doesn't have to be at one time.
  • Go to bed at a decent hour...you really need about 8 hours of sleep each night. 
  • Don't be reluctant to ask babysitters, friends, family, etc. for help. When my kids were little, young girls (10-12 years old) in my neighborhood were really excited to make $3 an hour to play with my kids at home while I was able to knock out chores around the house. Things that would have taken forever if I hadn't had a helper. You don't any extra points for doing this all by yourself!
  • Most of all, you don't  have to be perfect, try your best each day. 
Hope I have inspired you to pencil in some "you time" on your calendar. 

2 comments:

  1. Just what I needed to hear, today! I've been told I don't practice self care anymore. Things are a changing, because I'm ready to focus on me again.
    I just love the new blog and am so very proud of you!
    Miss you, friend.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy,

      So glad you are enjoying the blog. The first year of motherhood can be exhausting...definitely time to start making your self a priority, at least a few minutes each day!! Miss you too!!

      Delete