About Me

Note from Maria: I am a Registered Dietitian with a Master of Public Health Degree in Nutrition from UNC at Chapel Hill. I have a passion for helping people with nutrition & wellness, especially moms. Women & moms provide care for everyone else often at the expense of considering their own needs. I hope to provide good resources to you to help you make nutrition and wellness a priority.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Exercise when you can!

To say that I am not a "morning person", doesn't even begin to accurately describe my disposition in the morning. This week, I have been at my internship about 6:40 each morning, except for one day when I arrived at 6:15.  This is ridiculously early for me!! However, this week I have had to privilege of working with the amazing folks in the burn center at UNC, so I am doing the best I can to be perky in the morning. However, by evening time, I have been exhausted. I have not fit exercise into my schedule as I normally do. To help make up for this, I have been climbing 5 flights of stairs numerous times each day. If you too can't exercise for 30 straight minutes each day, you don't have to do it all at once, here are some ideas to fit it in where you can every day:
  • Take the stairs instead of the elevator
  • Park your car far from where you need to arrive and walk
  • Take a quick walk at lunch, fall is a great time of year to start this!
  • Play some fun music and dance around your house for a song or two
  • Do sit ups, push ups and plank at home when you have about 10 minutes
  • If you watch TV, get up during commercials and do jumping jacks
  • Take a 10 minute walk after dinner
If you do two or three of these each day, you will fit in exercise for the day. On the weekends or days when you have more time, try to fit in a longer & higher intensity workout &/or resistance training. 

Remember to keep moving!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment