About Me

Note from Maria: I am a Registered Dietitian with a Master of Public Health Degree in Nutrition from UNC at Chapel Hill. I have a passion for helping people with nutrition & wellness, especially moms. Women & moms provide care for everyone else often at the expense of considering their own needs. I hope to provide good resources to you to help you make nutrition and wellness a priority.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Broccoli salad....

I hope everyone had a great Easter. Our family really enjoyed ours. We had a simple but delicious meal with a natural ham (no nitrates), steamed asparagus, sweet potatoes, broccoli salad and rolls. We also had a few desserts....after all holidays are great days to have treats. I love broccoli salad, however, usually this dish is a high calorie nightmare made with a ton of mayonnaise. My version of this recipe is a great example of how I substituted some ingredients to make a favorite recipe a little healthier. I used half the sugar, less than half of the mayonnaise and substituted with some plain Greek yogurt. I also chose a lower fat mayo w/ olive oil. These are tricks you can use in your own recipes.

1 Head of broccoli - washed, dried and cut into florets.
1/4 cup+ raisins &/or craisins
1/3 cup of Hellman's Mayonnaise w/ olive oil
1/3 cup of plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp of sugar
1/4+ tsp of onion powder
3 Tbsp+ of red wine vinegar
1 can of water chestnuts - chopped fine (optional)
1/4 of red onion chopped fine or French's onion straws

Combine mayo, yogurt, sugar, onion powder and vinegar. Mix well. Pour over a bowl with broccoli and raisins/craisins. Add onion and water chestnuts if desired.

While I openly admit, fresh red onion would be a much better choice....I really like the crunch of the French's onion straws, so I do put a little on mine.

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment