About Me

Note from Maria: I am a Registered Dietitian with a Master of Public Health Degree in Nutrition from UNC at Chapel Hill. I have a passion for helping people with nutrition & wellness, especially moms. Women & moms provide care for everyone else often at the expense of considering their own needs. I hope to provide good resources to you to help you make nutrition and wellness a priority.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sesame Chicken and Broccoli

I love Chinese Food. However, when I eat it from restaurants I usually puff up like a balloon. They use way too much sodium for me. I do make it at home from time to time. I threw this together for dinner tonight & I am really bad about measuring when I cook, so most of these amounts are guestimates.....

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 tbsp of sesame oil
1-2 tbsp of sesame seeds
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 cup of low sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
dash of red pepper flakes (more if you like it hot)
1/4 tsp+ black pepper
1 lb of fresh broccoli florets

Heat oil in large frying pan or wok, saute chicken until cooked and browned. Then push chicken to edges of pan and add sesame seeds and garlic in middle and cook for a minute or two. Add remaining ingredients. Cover pan and cook for 5 minutes or until broccoli is at desired tenderness. Serve over brown rice.

You could easily substitute lean pork or beef and use other veggies such as carrots, mushrooms, bok choy, etc. If you like it super spicy, San-J makes a great Szechuan sauce that you can add to your stir fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment