- Eggs - so easy & inexpensive. You can scramble them, cook them over easy, hard boiled, egg salad, egg burritos, omelets and frittatas, etc. If you need a quick easy breakfast, try precooked eggs such as hard boiled eggs. You can also precook eggs for sandwiches by baking them in advance using a muffin pan. Preheat oven to 350 F, spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Crack one egg in each muffin well. Pierce the yolks if you desire or leave them if you want them a little runny. Bake for 15 minutes or until they are cooked the way you like them. Ideas- you could also add a little low fat cheese or chopped veggies before cooking. You can put these in the refrigerator to reheat quickly before serving.
- Beans - you can soak and cook these yourself or buy canned beans, just be sure to rinse them and drain them before eating. They can be added to salads, soups, pasta, stir-fry.
- Make homemade bean burgers...these are much better packaged processed ones you buy!
- Nuts, seeds, nut butters and seed butters.
- Low fat Greek yogurt & cottage cheese.
- Soy products - if you like them (which I do not)
- Use canned tuna. Tuna in olive oil is really good on salads.
- Make a hummus pita wrap filled with beans, tzatziki, feta cheese and veggies.
- Make a bean burrito using canned fat free refried beans and low fat cheese.
You should have a lean protein at every meal to make your meal complete. Variety is important for all the foods you eat, so branch out and try something new!