About Me

Note from Maria: I am a Registered Dietitian with a Master of Public Health Degree in Nutrition from UNC at Chapel Hill. I have a passion for helping people with nutrition & wellness, especially moms. Women & moms provide care for everyone else often at the expense of considering their own needs. I hope to provide good resources to you to help you make nutrition and wellness a priority.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Getting back on track!

The last few months of my life have been a whirlwind! I finished up my internship, wrote my master's paper (twice), had a couple of health issues, had to study and pass the RD exam, not to mention the holidays, other family changes, etc. WHEW! I am glad things are finally calming down! This week is the first time I have felt relatively relaxed in quite a while. During all of this craziness, my exercise routine has not been ideal. I always fit in some exercise each week but not as much as I wanted. This week, I am getting things back in order! I went to the gym Tuesday morning...my original plan was go to a class. I got there on the late side and the class was jam packed. I decided that I would run instead, something I have been wanting to do more of anyway. In the small town where I live, many of my friends are at the gym in the morning. As luck would have it, my great friend Tina was there and we ran together...well she ran little faster than I did, but on the treadmill that doesn't matter. I haven't run that much at all over the past 5+ months. My normal distance is about 3 miles in a little less than 30 minutes. I often run intervals because I think you get the most benefit for time invested. Today I was determined to finish my 3 miles even though I have not run that much in quite a while. I did do it, I did say a few expletives about half way in, but Tina and I encouraged each other to finish. My time was less than 31 minutes, which is slower than I usual, but I did it and I felt great after I was done.

My thoughts:

  • Don't be scared to push yourself. However, if you are starting a new exercise routine, you should see your doctor first.
  • Working out with friends is almost always better!
  • Even if you have gotten off track for a while, no time like the present to get things back in order.
  • Life isn't perfect, you don't have to be either! 

No comments:

Post a Comment