About Me

Note from Maria: I am a Registered Dietitian with a Master of Public Health Degree in Nutrition from UNC at Chapel Hill. I have a passion for helping people with nutrition & wellness, especially moms. Women & moms provide care for everyone else often at the expense of considering their own needs. I hope to provide good resources to you to help you make nutrition and wellness a priority.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Maria's Fast Food

I rarely eat fast food from a restaurant. If I do, I generally go to Chick-fil-A and get a fried chicken sandwich because I really like fried chicken, not because it is a very healthy choice. This is why I generally try to stay away from fast food restaurants. However, I am typically very busy so I here is what I need to do when I need to eat in a hurry, which is often:

  • I carry a pack of 100 calorie almonds in my purse at all times. I also throw in a an apple or orange if I am going to be away from home for more than a couple of hours. If I get hungry the nuts and fruit keep me satisfied until I can eat something more substantial.
  • For a quick meal on the go, I will eat cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt with fruit, nuts or a little bit of cereal thrown in. Cottage cheese and veggies will work too. 
  • I will pack or grab a sunbutter sandwich (peanut butter or any nut butter will work).I make it on a slice of whole grain bread or Ezekiel bread. 
  • On the way out of the door sometimes I will make a smoothie with plain Greek yogurt and fruit, toss it into a cup with a lid and take it with me on the way out the door. I fill the blender with soapy water and deal with it later if I am in a hurry. 
  • If I don't have time to use my blender, I will toss together plain Greek yogurt, berries/fruit and cinnamon in a plastic cup with a spoon and eat it on the go. A piece of string cheese and fruit works well too.
  • Carrot sticks, celery sticks, clementines, apples, oranges all travel well for snacks in a hurry.
The key to making these snacks/mini meals work is to keep these things stocked in your house and remembering to grab something before you leave. Also keeping baby carrots or cut veggies ready to grab and go makes this really easy. Having one protein food and one fruit/vegetable will help keep you full for a while. If you are out and find that you need a quick mini meal, try going into the grocery store instead of a fast food place. When I do this I look for a single piece of fruit and a single serve yogurt or cheese. You could also check out the produce area and look for small/single serve precut items. 






No comments:

Post a Comment