About Me

Note from Maria: I am a Registered Dietitian with a Master of Public Health Degree in Nutrition from UNC at Chapel Hill. I have a passion for helping people with nutrition & wellness, especially moms. Women & moms provide care for everyone else often at the expense of considering their own needs. I hope to provide good resources to you to help you make nutrition and wellness a priority.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Hitting your "reset" button

There are times in life where it would be great if we could just hit "reset" and start our day or moods over again. Unfortunately we don't come with reset buttons, but there are things you can do to "reset" yourself.

  • Exercise either alone or with friends. It can be at the gym, lifting weights, doing cardio machines, or just talking a walk in my neighborhood or at a park with a friend. I try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise most days of the week. If I am really irritated, I have been known to hit punching bag. I bought one at a sporting goods store a few years ago. The guy in the store was a bit surprised that I wanted a punching bag...I think he asked me about three or four times "Are you sure YOU want a punching bag?" Of course I bought some hot pink gloves to go with it. At any rate, it can be quite therapeutic and a great workout!
  • Taking a hot bath, I don't do this often, but when I do, I really enjoy it.
  • Lying outside on my porch, especially if it is raining. My absolute favorite is listening to a distant thunderstorm outside and just losing myself in the sounds. 
  • Listening to soundscapes.
  • Take time away from your normal routine and responsibilities. I just spent a weekend away with my girlfriends. We do this annually, which is literally the most relaxing weekend I have each year. I really love sitting, catching up with my friends and enjoying the beach. I spend a whole 48+ hours doing pretty much only what I want to do. I am very lucky that I have a group of women that I can go away with that are laid back and where everyone can just chill out. I wish I could do this more often, but it seems that once a year is what I usually fit in. 
You can try some of these things if they sound appealing or do other activies that make you relax. It is important to relax/reset on a regular basis. It will help reduce your stress level which helps your overall health. Here is a link to an article with additional ideas if you would like to read more: http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/blissing-out-10-relaxation-techniques-reduce-stress-spot

Happy "Resetting"

No comments:

Post a Comment