Today the sun is finally out so it will be a great day to grill!! Here are some ideas:
- Traditional 4th of July cook out food of hamburgers and hot dogs are OK to have as a treat once in a while.
- When you buy hot dogs, opt for those free of added nitrates and low in saturated fats. Applegate Farms makes delicious beef hot dogs you would never guess have only 70 calories, 6 grams total fat and 2 grams of saturated fat. The average hot dog would have 2-3 times the calories and fat.
- When choosing hamburger, it really will taste better and be less dry if you opt for 15% fat. Some of this will drip off when cooking.
- Skip the cheese if you can and pile lots of veggies on top.
- Choose 100% whole grain or 100% white wheat buns.
- Try some veggies on the grill.
- Slice zucchini or squash down the middle, brush with a little olive oil and lightly pepper, you can add other fresh or dried herbs as well, rosemary is a favorite of mine.
- Grill onion slices to add to your burgers
- Wash and snap ends on fresh green beans, add 1 tbsp olive oil and fresh mined garlic. Wrap in foil and throw on the grill, cook for 10-20 mins depending on how tender you like your beans.
- Here are some other great ideas: http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/healthy_cooking_101/shopping_cooking_guides/grilled_vegetables_guide?slide=10
- When making sides, use non fat or low fat plain Greek yogurt as a substitute for at least 1/2 the mayo in salad recipes. This will significantly cut back on the fat and calories.
- Remember to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Don't let foods sit out for more than an hour or so when it is very hot outside.
Hope everyone has a very safe and happy July 4th!!