About Me

Note from Maria: I am a Registered Dietitian with a Master of Public Health Degree in Nutrition from UNC at Chapel Hill. I have a passion for helping people with nutrition & wellness, especially moms. Women & moms provide care for everyone else often at the expense of considering their own needs. I hope to provide good resources to you to help you make nutrition and wellness a priority.

Friday, August 17, 2012

7 Layer Dip.......

In case you haven't figured it out, I love food!! I will be sharing a lot of my favorite recipes with you. Seven Layer dip is one of my favorites. However, it can be a high calorie nightmare if you are not careful....try these suggestions to make it healthier. I admit, I sometimes eat this for dinner.....so yummy!!
 
  • One 16 oz can of Refried beans, no fat (read labels to find the one with the least sodium)
  • One package of premade guacamole (Wholly guacamole is my favorite, try spicy if you like it hot)
  • 1-2 cups of Plain Greek yogurt - no fat
  • Salsa - Jack's Garden Fresh is my favorite
  • 1 cup of low fat (2%) Mexican blend cheese
  • Black olives
  • Scallions- chopped
You can add some spices (cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, etc.) to the beans if you want. Spread beans in bottom of glass serving dish. Add layer of guacamole, then Greek yogurt, salsa. Top with cheese and garnish with olives/scallions. Serve with multigrain chips.

Happy Dipping!!




No comments:

Post a Comment